The NHSC scholarship application process is highly competitive. Each year, there are more than 1,800 applications from hundreds of schools from across the country. Approximately 10 percent of the applicants receive the scholarship award.
How much is the NHSC stipend?
(3) Stipend During the 2020-2021 school year, NHSC scholars will receive a monthly stipend (currently estimated at $1,419 before federal taxes) to assist with living expenses.
What is the NHSC Scholarship?
The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) awards scholarships to students pursuing eligible primary care health professions training. In return, scholars commit to provide primary care health services in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs).
What does NHSC stand for?
5. PROGRAM OVERVIEW. INTRODUCTION. The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) is a federal government program administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Health Workforce (BHW).
How does HRSA loan repayment work?
Licensed primary care clinicians in eligible disciplines can receive loan repayment assistance through the NHSC Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP). In exchange for loan repayment, you serve at least two years of service at an NHSC-approved site in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA).
What is the HRSA Nursing Scholarship?
The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program (Nurse Corps SP) provides scholarships to nursing students in exchange for a minimum two-year full-time service commitment (or part-time equivalent), at an eligible health care facility with a critical shortage of nurses.
How do I get an NHSC Scholarship?
We seek to recruit clinicians who demonstrate:
- A strong commitment to the field of primary care;
- An interest in providing care to underserved communities; and.
- Relevant work experience and/or activities (e.g., community service, research, and internships), which prepared you to work with underserved populations.
Can you get scholarships for PA school?
Federally funded education initiatives, like the Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students program should not be overlooked for PA program students. General financial aid can be applied toward any approved major; including physician’s assistant degrees.
What is National Health Corps?
The National Health Corps (NHC) is an AmeriCorps National Direct program whose mission is to increase access to health care for underserved communities, promote health, reduce health care costs and develop new health care professionals.
How do I become NHSC approved?
The following site types are eligible to become NHSC-approved:
- State Prison.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Certified Rural Health Clinics. …
- Critical Access Hospitals (CAH)
- Community Mental Health Centers (CMHC)
- State or Local Health Departments.
- Community Outpatient Facilities. …
- Private Practices (Solo or Group)
Are HRSA grants taxable?
Stipend is taxable NHSC.hrsa.gov/scholarships Nursing students are eligible to receive funding for their training in exchange for working at eligible health care facilities in designated primary care and mental health Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs), known as Critical Shortage Facilities (CSFs).
Is NHSC repayment taxable?
By statute, NHSC LRP funds are exempt from federal income and employment taxes. These funds are not included as wages when determining benefits under the Social Security Act.
Do student loans go away after 7 years?
Your responsibility to pay student loans doesn’t go away after 7 years. But if it’s been more than 7.5 years since you made a payment on your student loan debt, the debt and the missed payments can be removed from your credit report. And if that happens, your credit score may go up, which is a good thing.
What is Nurse Corps repayment?
The purpose of the Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program (Nurse Corps LRP) is to provide loan repayment assistance to registered nurses (RNs), including advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs), in return for a commitment to work at eligible health care facilities with a critical shortage of nurses or serve as nurse …
What is the NHSC Loan Repayment Program?
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program (LRP) offers primary medical, dental, and mental and behavioral health care clinicians the opportunity to have their student loans repaid, while earning a competitive salary, in exchange for providing health care in urban, rural, or tribal communities with …